Just received a call that Miss Hello Kitty is getting married to Mr. Cat Man. The wedding reception will be held at one of the grandest Chinese restaurants in Penang, which is the Sea Queen Restaurant in Straits Quay, Tanjung Tokong. Although the “wedding” invitation is a prank, the food review invitation that will be held at Sea Queen is real.
Sea Queen Restaurant is strategically located where it overlooks a splendid seafront view on Straits Quay. Sea Queen ensures that all her patrons dine “royally “with the freshest-caught treasures of the sea, prepared by skillful master chefs who have been specially trained in a host of authentic and mouth-watering local cuisine.
Sea Queen is a testament of Madam Loh’s long experience and love for seafood. Specialising in freshly caught local seafood with a variety of delicious authentic cuisine, the Sea Queen fully accommodates up to 1800 patrons or 180 tables for both indoor and outdoor events including weddings, annual corporate dinners, anniversaries, birthdays and any other functions that require a touch of royal tasting seafood cuisine.
It is not hard to locate Sea Queen Restaurant. If you know how to get to Straits Quay, you will know how to get to Sea Queen Restaurant as it is just located at Strait Quay. Apart from the usual wedding dinner packages and ala-carte orders, Sea Queen Restaurant has come out with affordable set lunches valued at RM7.90++ each.
This set lunch promotion is only available on Weekdays: 11am – 2:30pm.
The selections of the set lunch are:
2) Fish Fillet
3) Mantis Shrimp
For whatever selection that you have chosen above, you can have it prepared in one of these styles:
- Dried Chili Sauce with rice
- Drid Shrimp Sauce with rice
- Spring Onion & Ginger Sauce with rice
- Sweet & Sour Sauce with rice
- Marmite Sauce with rice
- Whear Flakes with rice
- Lemon Sauce with rice
- Mixed Vegetables with rice
Mantis Shrimp cooked with dried shrimp sauce served with rice, the taste of the mantis shrimp was very fresh and the spices and spiciness level were just nice. It is perfect to go with rice as it would be a bit salty if eaten without the rice.
Fish Fillet cooked with lemon sauce and served with rice. For health conscious people, this dish will be the best option. It has a balanced-diet with a tangy lemon touch.
Chicken cooked with marmite sauce and served with rice. The chicken pieces were marinated with marmite sauce, then pan fried until golden perfection. For kids or non-spicy lovers, you can consider this dish.
All the set lunches are served with soup of the day and also with tea or water.
Other than the set lunches, the wedding packages are also one of the best in Penang. Below is the list of Sea Queen Wedding Packages:
One of the Wedding Packages that is value for money is Wedding Package Emerald – RM668 ++
- Five Happiness Hot & Cold Combination – This is the usual five types of combination starter for most of the wedding events. My favourites from dish are the smoked duck and the scallop rolls. The smoked duck was so juicy and flavourful while the scallop rolsl which were wrapped with ham and topped with sago balls were full of seafood flavour.
- Braised Shark’s Fin Soup with Crab Meat – I believe most of the shark’s fin soup now are being replaced with substitutes to avoid the killing of sharks. The addition of crab meat enhanced the soup’s texture and taste.
- Stewed Chicken with Chinese Herbs – The chicken was stewed with Chinese herbs for long hours. The taste of the soup was slightly on the salty side. Other than that the taste of the chicken was quite delightful.
- Steamed Red Snapper with Siamese Style – The red snapper was steamed with Sea Queen’s homemade Siamese sauce, and topped with slices of onion, lady fingers, tomatoes and sprinkled with a touch of coriander. For my personal preference, I still like the fresh fish to be served in Cantonese steam style or Teow Chew steam style. This way the freshness and original taste of the fish will be preserved.
- Braised Mushroom with Bean Curd Roots & Puff – Few types of mushrooms were braised with broccoli’s, bean curd roots and some puffs. This dish is perfect for vegetarians and those observing healthy diet.
- Pan Fried Sea Prawns – The sea prawns were pan fried with peppery and spicy sauce, and served together with some onions and Thai basil leaves. The prawns were fresh and juicy. This is one of my favourites.
- Steamed Rice Wrapped with Lotus Leaf, the rice was first fried with mushrooms and Chinese sausages before being wrapped up with Lotus leaf and brought to steam. The aroma of the was magnificent and it blended very well with all the ingredients within.
- Chilled Longan with Syrup – The syrup and longan were added with ice cubes and lemon slices to make it more appetizing and cooling.
- Sweet Fancy Double Delights – The egg yolk custard buns and matchi buns are one of the best desserts to end the meal with. The egg yolk custard buns will burst out its golden goodness consisted of egg yolk and custard once bitten. On the other hand, the matchi bun had a slightly softer outer layer and less juicy inner part thus complementing its juicier counterpart.
Chilled Lemon Grass Jelly with Lime – RM5.00++ per serving is one of the specialities here. The ice cream sorbet is the key to the this drink appetizing. I would strongly recommend this drink to those who love a refreshing drink after a heavy meal.
Overall, the convenience of parking at Straits Quay is one of the consideration points for those looking for a venue to host their wedding dinner. The taste of the food here is good and the price is also reasonable considering the location and environment.
Editor’s Review (5 Stars Rank):
|Price (more stars, more reasonable)|
|Private Room (Private Area)|
Operation hours: 11:00am – 2:30pm; 6:00pm – 10:30pm (Daily), 11:00am – 10:30pm (Public Holiday)
Contact: 010-4040 299 / 010-4050 299
Address: G3 & 3A, Strait Quay, Seri Tanjong Pinang, Tanjong Tokong 10470 Penang.