Sawadee kap… For those that love Thai food and looking for a place that serves variety of affordable and value-for-money Thai food, the place that you are looking for is Copthorne Hotel. The price for the buffet per person is RM30 nett (Adult).
It is not hard to locate this hotel as it is just along the coast of Tanjung Bungah. If you are driving through Jalan Tanjung Bungah from town area, you will probably see 4 majestic blocks of “The Cove” super condominium. You will then see Copthorne Orchid Hotel sitting next to it.
Terrace Bay Restaurant is located at the lower ground of Copthorne Orchid Hotel.
Vast variety of Thai dishes are available for dinner patrons.
The carving of the watermelon that looks like a huge rose flower. It looks so delicious, but it is for display purpose only.
Most of the fruits and dessert were almost finished after 30 minutes they were served.
The salad corner.
The main dishes corner.
To start the engine, there are varieties of appetizer. However, beware that a lot of them are spicy.
- Papaya Mango Salad (Som Tam)
- Mango Salad (Yam Mak Muang)
- Chicken Feet Salad (Yam Tin Kai)
- Thai Sambal Belacan (Nam Pit Ka)
- Kacang Botol (Sator Thua Pool)
- Kai Lan with Salted Fish (Kana Pla Kem)
- Tom Yam Soup (Ken Som)
- (Mushroom, Chicken Slice, Mix Vegetables)
All the varieties of Thai main course are available at the counter. One of my favourites is the egg omelet.
- Basil Leave Beef (Kak Thau Nua)
- Chicken Red Curry (Kai Pat Pit)
- Fish Pat Pit (Pla Pat Pit)
- Prawn Clam Noodle (Kung Obboon Sen)
- Egg Ommelette (Kai Pat Pit)
- Thai Otak – Otak (Homok)
- Thai Fried Rice (Phad Thad)
Located outside of the main buffet hall are some fresh salad stall, fried koay teow stall and and also deep fried pandan chicken stall. My favourite is the fried koay teow which is full of pan fried flavour and served with big prawns. The taste is on par with Lorong Selamant fried koay teow.
- Thai Kampung Chicken Rice (Kau Man Kai)
- Thai Laksa (Khanom Chin)
- BBQ Fish ball, Beef Ball, Crab Stick (Look Chic Ping)
- Crispy Cat Fish with Spicy Sweet and Sour, Green Mango Salad
- (Yam Pladukfu)
Lastly, there are many desserts to end your course.
- Fresh Cut Fruits
- Khanom Chan (Multi Layer Of Pandan Flavour Sticky Rice with
- Coconut Milk)
- Sweet Baked Pudding Containing Coconut Milk, Egg, Palm Sugar
- and Flour
- Khanom Tan (Palm Flavour, Mini Cake with Shredded Coconut on
- Khanom Thuai Talai (Steam Sweet Coconut Jelly and Cream)
- Lot Chong Nam Kathi (Pandan Flavour rice Flour Noodle In
- Coconut milk, Similar To Cendol)
- Salim (Multi Cour Mung Bean Flour Noodle in Sweetened Coconut
- Milk Serve with crushed Ice)
The place here can be cater for 50+ tables.
There is also a kids indoor playground for the kids to hangout.
Overall, there are many variety of Thai dishes available for the customer and the price for the buffet is one of the most affordable in town. The taste of the dishes is acceptable and the fried koay teow is definitely a must-try. The drawback here is the lack of vegetables and non-spicy food. Parking is plentiful but will be insufficient when the hotel is hosting functions or dinners.
Editor’s Review (5 Stars Rank):
Operation hours: Dinner Buffet 7:00pm – 10:00pm (Saturday Buffet); Lunch Buffet 12:00noon – 2:30pm (Sunday)
Contact: 04-892 3333
Address:Jalan Tanjung Bungah, 11200 Penang, Malaysia.